Workshop on mm-VLBI with ALMA
22nd and 23rd January 2015 – Istituto di Radioastronomia Bologna, Italy
The Italian node of the European ALMA Regional Centre organizes a meeting on the subject of mm-VLBI with ALMA, to be held at the INAF-Istituto di Radioastronomia (Bologna, Italy) on 22nd and 23rd January 2015.
Very long baseline interferometry at millimetre/submillimetre wavelengths offers the highest achievable spatial resolution at any wavelength in astronomy and the inclusion of ALMA into a global network will bring unprecedented sensitivity.
An international consortium is presently constructing a beamformer for ALMA in Chile that will be available as a facility instrument. The extraordinary sensitivity of phased ALMA, combined with the extremely fine angular resolution available on baselines to the Northern Hemisphere, will enable transformational new very long baseline interferometry observations in the 0.8 mm and 1.3 mm bands and provide substantial improvements to existing VLBI arrays at 7 and 3 mm. The ALMA beamformer will have an impact on a variety of scientific topics, including accretion and outflow processes around black holes in active galactic nuclei, tests of general relativity near black holes, jet launch and collimation from AGN and microquasars, pulsar and magnetar emission processes, the chemical history of the universe and the evolution of fundamental constants across cosmic time, maser science, and astrometry.
At this workshop we want to review this broad range of science topics allowed by mm-VLBI with ALMA and also discuss the status of the existing and future mm-VLBI networks. This should involve current VLBI users and those who are just becoming interested in this rapidly evolving field.
A closed discussion session for invited participants only will be held on the 23rd of January.
Please note that we’ll be hosting an Italian community workshop on mm astronomy on the days before of this workshop.
- Jan Brand (INAF-IRA, Bologna, Italy; Italian ARC)
- Gabriele Giovannini (INAF-IRA, Bologna, Italy; Università di Bologna)
- Robert Laing (European Southern Observatory)
- Elisabetta Liuzzo (INAF-IRA, Bologna, Italy; Italian ARC)
- Marcella Massardi (INAF-IRA, Bologna, Italy; Italian ARC)
- Leonardo Testi (European Southern Observatory)
- Francesco Bedosti (INAF-IRA, Bologna; Italian ARC)
- Jan Brand (INAF-IRA, Bologna; Italian ARC)
- Viviana Casasola (INAF-IRA, Bologna; Italian ARC)
- Vincenzo Galluzzi (DIFA – UniBo; INAF – IRA, Bologna)
- Nuria Marcelino (INAF-IRA, Bologna; Italian ARC)
- Marcella Massardi (INAF-IRA, Bologna; Italian ARC)
- Arturo Mignano (INAF-IRA, Bologna; Italian ARC)
- Rosita Paladino (DIFA-UniBO; INAF-IRA, Bologna; Italian ARC)
Click here for the book of abstracts of oral and poster contributions, together with the list of participants (and their e-mail contacts)
(I = invited, C = contributed)
|22 Jan 2015||Speaker||Title|
|08.30 – 09.15||It-ARC team||Registration|
|09.15 – 09.30||J. Brand||Welcome|
|————————||Chair: J. Brand||First Session|
|09.30 – 10.00||S. Doeleman (I)||The Event Horizon Telescope: Imaging and Time-Resolving a Black Hole|
|10.00 – 10.30||C. Goddi (I)||European efforts towards the EHT|
|10.30 – 11.00||V. Fish (I)||The ALMA Phasing Project: Motivations and Status|
|11:00 – 11:30||Coffee break||Poster session I|
|————————||Chair: G. Giovannini||Second Session|
|11.30 – 12.00||M. Giroletti (I)||Review on BLAZARS Science with mm-VLBI|
|12.00 – 12.15||J. Gomez (C)||Probing the innermost regions of AGN jets with RadioAstron
and mm-VLBI at tens of microarcsec resolution
|12.15 – 12.30||M. Kadler (C)||Resolving the Jet-Launching region in NGC1052|
|12.30 – 12.45||T. Krichbaum (C)||Imaging AGN at highest frequencies and resolution|
|12.45 – 13:45||Pranzo||Poster session II|
|————————||Chair: L. Feretti||Third Session|
|13.45 – 14.05||M. Kramer (I)||Pulsars Science with a phased ALMA|
|14.05 – 14.35||F. Colomer (I)||Maser Science with mm-VLBI|
|14.35 – 14.50||A. Richards (C)||Sub-mm maser VLBI: how do stellar winds break free from
the star’s gravity?
|14.50 – 15.05||A. Rushton (C)||VLBA monitoring of SgrA* during the G2 encounter|
|15.05 – 15.20||A. Baudry (I)||The ALMA 64-antenna correlator to phase up the ALMA array,
status and perspective
|15.20 – 15.35||F. Gueth (I)||VLBI with IRAM/NOEMA|
|15.35 – 15.50||T. Jung (I)||Multi-frequency VLBI telescopes and synergy with ALMA|
|15:50 – 16:30||Coffee break||Fourth Session|
|————————||Chair: E. Liuzzo||Session: Scienze Galattiche III|
|16.20 – 16.35||F. Tazaki (C)||EHT-J Activities and new imaging technique with sparse modeling|
|16.35 – 16.50||R. Tilanus (C)||Next-generation mm-VLBI equipment|
|16.50 – 17.05||I. Marti-Vidal (C)||Solving the polarization problem in ALMA-VLBI observations|
|17.05 – 17.25||E. Ros (I)||Joint Observations of ALMA with GMVA|
|17.25 – 17.45||C. Lonsdale (I)||US perspective on mm-VLBI|
|17.45 – 18.05||Chair: E. Liuzzo||Open discussion session|
|23 Jan 2015||Speaker||Closed Sessions- for invited participants only|
|09.00 – 11.00||Chairs: R. Laing, M. Zwaan, M. Massardi||Closed discussion session I|
|11:00 – 11:30||Coffee break|
|11:30 – 13:00||Chairs: R. Laing, M. Zwaan, M. Massardi||Closed discussion session II|
|13.00 – 14.00||Pranzo|
|14.00 – 15.00||Chairs: R. Laing, M. Zwaan, M. Massardi||Closed discussion session III|
Maximum size of posters: A1 (smaller than 70x100cm)
List of posters:
- I. Agudo – Changes in Sgr A*’s accretion flow through Faraday rotation measures at mm wavelengths: An update of mm-VLBI and single dish results.
- K. Asada – VLBI and mm/submm interferometric studies on M 87.
- S. Asadi – Hunting for dark halo substructure using submilliarcsecond-scale observations of macrolensed radio jets.
- T. Boller – Black hole imaging as GR tests in the GC.
- L. Humpreys- Extragalactic Water Masers and mmVLBI
- S. Koyama – Off-jet axis structure of blazars with mm/sub-mm VLBI.
- R. Lu – Imaging an event horizon: mitigation of structure variability of Sgr A*.
- D. Petry – FITS IDI for VLBI in CASA.
- V. Rivilla – Constraining the non-thermal emission from young stars in Orion.
- A. Rudnitskiy – “Millimetron” Project: Space-VLBI Capabilities Overview.
- K. Rygl – Gaia and VLBI: new possibilities for the celestial reference frame.
- R. Schulz – Centaurus A: High-Resolution Imaging of the AGN in our Backyard.
- I. van Bemmel – Data processing for mm-VLBI observations.
- Alberdi Antxon (IAA-CSIC)
- Agudo Ivan (JIVE)
- Andrianov Andrey (Astro Space Center)
- Arcidiacono Carmelo (INAF-Osservatorio Astronomico di Bologna)
- Asada Keiichi (ASIAA)
- Asadi Saghar (Department of Astronomy, Stockholm University)
- Baudry Alain (University of Bordeaux, OASU/LAB)
- Biggs Andy (ESO)
- Boller Thomas (MPE Garching)
- Brand Jan (INAF/IRA,Bologna(Italy); Italian ARC)
- Bruni Gabriele (MPIfR)
- Carnerero Martin Maria Isabel (INAF-Osservatorio Astrofisico di Torino)
- Casasola Viviana (INAF/IRA,Bologna(Italy); Italian ARC)
- Colomer Francisco (Instituto Geografico Nacional (IGN-OAN), Spain)
- Cox Pierre (JAO)
- Dallacasa Daniele (DIFA – UniBO)
- D’Ammando Filippo (INAF-IRA, Unibo)
- de Graauw Thijs (ESO; LPI-ASC; USP-IAG)
- Doeleman Shep (SAO/MIT)
- Feretti Luigina (INAF/IRA,Bologna(Italy))
- Fish Vincent (MIT Haystack Observatory)
- Galluzzi Vincenzo (INAF Bologna)
- Giovannini Gabriele (Bologna University & IRA/INAF)
- Giroletti Marcello (INAF Istituto di Radioastronomia)
- Goddi Ciriaco (Radboud University Nijmegen)
- Gomez Jose L. (Instituto de Astrofisica de Andalucia – CSIC)
- Gregorini Loretta (University of Bologna)
- Gueth Frederic (IRAM)
- Hughes David (Instituto Nacional de Astrofisica,Optica y Electronica)
- Humphreys Liz (ESO)
- Iono Daisuke (NAOJ)
- Jung Taehyun (Korea Astronomy & Space Science Institute)
- Kadler Matthias (Univ. Wuerzburg)
- Koyama Shoko (MPIfR Bonn)
- Kramer Michael (MPI fuer Radioastronomie)
- Krichbaum Thomas (MPIfR)
- Laing Robert (ESO)
- Lico Rocco (UniversitÃ di Bologna & IRA/INAF)
- Liuzzo Elisabetta (INAF/IRA,Bologna(Italy); Italian ARC)
- Lonsdale Colin (MIT Haystack Observatory)
- Lu Rusen (MPIfR Bonn)
- Mantovani Franco (Istituto di Radioastronomia, Bologna)
- Marcelino Nuria (INAF/IRA,Bologna(Italy); Italian ARC)
- Marti-Vidal Ivan (Onsala Space Observatory)
- Massardi Marcella (INAF/IRA,Bologna(Italy); Italian ARC)
- Moscadelli Luca (INAF – Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri)
- Muehle Stefanie (German ARC node, Argelander Institute for Astronomy)
- Muxlow Tom (Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics)
- Orienti Monica (INAF-IRA)
- Paladino Rosita (Bologna University; INAF/IRA,Bologna(Italy); Italian ARC)
- Pasqua Antonio (UniversitÃ di Trieste)
- Petry Dirk (ESO)
- Prandoni Isabella (Ira – Inaf)
- Richards Anita (JBCA, Manchester)
- Rivilla Victor M. (Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri)
- Ros Eduardo (MPIfR)
- Rossi Andrea (INAF-IASFBO)
- Rudnitskiy Alexey (Astro Space Center)
- Rushton Anthony (Oxford University)
- Rygl Kazi (ESA-Estec)
- Savolainen Tuomas (Aalto University Metsahovi Radio Observatory)
- Schulz Robert (Univ. Wuerzburg; Univ. Erlangen-Nuernberg)
- Stanghellini Carlo (IRA-INAF)
- Tazaki Fumie (NAOJ)
- Testi Leonardo (ESO/Arcetri)
- Tilanus Remo (Allegro, Leiden Observatory; IMAPP, Radboud University)
- van Bemmel Ilse (JIVE)
- van Langevelde Huib (JIVE)
- Vlemmings Wouter (Chalmers / Onsala)
- Wootten Al (NRAO)
- Zanichelli Alessandra (INAF-IRA)
- Zensus Anton (Max-Planck Institut für Radioastronomie)
- Zwaan Martin (ESO)
There is no registration fee. The registration deadline was 1 December 2014.
RadioNet3 has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme for research, technological development and demonstration under grant agreement no 283393.
Venue, Logistics & contacts
The workshop will take place in the CNR Research Area in Bologna, room 216 (main hall, first floor). The CNR Research Area in Bologna can be reached by following the directions given here.
The Institute of Radioastronomy is also hosted in the same Research Area. A selection of hotels in Bologna can be found in this list.
If you have questions, please contact us: email@example.com